We’ve collected these interesting facts from various sources on the Internet and compiled them for this blog; we hope you like them. If you happen to know additional interesting facts about Jamaica, please add them in the comments section below.
- The Jamaican Flag is the ONLY flag in the world, that doesn’t share any of the colours found on the British Flag.
- Jamaica was the first country in the Caribbean region to launch a web site, jamaicatravel.com. This was in 1994!
- Jamaica has the second largest butterfly in the world – the Jamaican Giant Swallowtail (Papilio homerus).
- Jamaica was the first British colonial territory to establish a postal service in 1688.
- Jamaica has the most churches per square mile of any country in the world, over 1,600 churches and growing. ~ Source: Guinness Book of World Records.
- Jamaica was the first country in the Western world to construct a railway, even before the United States! This was only 18 years after Britain!
- Jamaica is the first Caribbean Country to gain Independence. This was on August 6, 1962.
- Jamaica is the first team from the English-speaking Caribbean to qualify for the Football (Soccer) World Cup. This was the 1998 championship.
- Jamaica is one of top three countries that have the most beautiful women in the world. Jamaica is ranked 3rd place on the list of countries to have won the Miss World titles the most!
- On his second voyage to the New World in 1494, the tip of the Blue Mountains in Jamaica was the first land sighted by Christopher Columbus.
- Jamaica was the first commercial producer of bananas in the Western Hemisphere.
- Jamaica was the first island in the Caribbean to produce rum on a commercial basis.
- The Manchester Golf Club in Jamaica – established in 1868, is the oldest golf club in the western hemisphere!
- The World’s Fastest Man (2009 – 2016) . . . Usain Bolt, is Jamaican.
- Jamaica has more multiple (two or more) live births than anywhere else in the world.
- Jamaica is the home to the oldest Jewish cemeteries in the Western hemisphere.
- The Milk River Bath and Mineral Spa located in Clarendon, Jamaica is the most radioactive spa in the world. Its waters are nine times more radioactive than those at Bath, England.
- Jamaica is the official birth place of The Rastafarian Movement, Reggae, and Dancehall Music.
- Jamaica is the third largest island in the Caribbean.
- Jamaica was the first Caribbean island to enact legislation, ‘The Motion Picture Industry (Encouragement) Act’ to promote the making of films.
- Jamaica was the first tropical country to enter the IOC Winter Olympics. The Bobsleigh Team’s efforts inspired the film ‘Cool Runnings‘.
- Jamaica was the first colony England acquired by conquest. This was in the year 1655 when the Spanish were driven from the island.
- Port Royal in Jamaica was once labelled ‘The wickedest city on earth‘.
- Jamaica is the first Western country to sign the ‘Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Malaria And Tuberculosis Grant Agreement’.
- Jamaica is the birthplace of Robert (Bob) Marley.
- Jerk sauce … the world-famous recipe, is from Jamaica.
- While under British rule, Jamaica became a wealthy colony and by the 18th century, Jamaica was known as ‘the jewel of the British crown‘, producing 22% of the world’s sugar.