This is our “brawta” page where we give you a “little something extra” to enjoy.
Jamaican Proverbs A – Z:
“Alligator shouldn’t call hog long mout.” || “Bucket wid hole a battam nuh have business a riverside.” || “Cow nuh kno di use ah im tail til it cut off.” || “Di house whe shelta yu when a rain, look fi it when sun hot” || “Empty pot will neva bwile over.” || “Fowl whe feed a yard nu hard fi ketch” || “Good fren betta dan pocket money.”|| “Hang yu basket whe yu can reach it.” || “If yuh get yuh hand inside a lion mouth, tek time tek it out.” || “John Crow tink him own pickney white.” || “Kibba yuh mout.” || “Learn fi dance a yaad before yuh dance abraad.” || “Monkey mus’ know weh im gwine put im tail before im order trousiz.” || “Nuh thro wey yuh ‘tick before yuh dun cross di riva.” || “One, one cocoa full basket.” || “Poun a fret cyaa pay ounce a debt.” || “Quattie bread full monkey belly.” || “Rain a fall but dutty tough.” || “Sorry fi mawga dog, mawga dog wi tun round bite you.” || “That which you do not know is older than you.” || “Victory nu come fram lie dung inna bed.” || “What a fi yu, cyaan be un fi yu” ||” Yu nu know how parson get him gown.” || ….. Read more Jamaican Proverbs
Even saying it . . . sounds beautiful, in English and all other Languages!
Robert Nesta Marley . . . Singer-songwriter achieved international fame in the 1970’s. His message in songs brought recognition for both Reggae music and Jamaica.
● “The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.”
● “Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you riding through the ruts, don’t complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy. Don’t bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality. Wake Up and Live!”
● “If puss and dog can get together, why can’t we love one another?”
● “Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.”
Marcus Mosiah Garvey was declared Jamaica’s first national hero in 1964. He was the founder of several organizations and newspapers, and spent his life campaigning for black rights.
● “If you have no confidence in self you are twice defeated in the race of life. With confidence you have won even before you have started.”
● “A people without the knowledge of their past history, origin and culture is like a tree without roots.”
● “A reading man and woman is a ready man and woman, but a writing man and woman is exact.”
● “Lose not courage, lose not faith, go forward.”
The other National Heroes of Jamaica
The Jamaican New Testament
Listen to the Bible like you have never heard it before – in Jamaican English (Patois).
Source: Patois Bible (The Jamaican Bible) translated from the original Greek manuscripts, published 2012.
Interesting Facts About Jamaica
● The Jamaican Flag is the ONLY flag in the world, that doesn’t share any of the colours found on the British Flag.
● Jamaica has the second largest butterfly in the world – the Jamaican Giant Swallowtail (Papilio homerus).
● On his second voyage to the New World in 1494, the tip of the Blue Mountains in Jamaica was the first land sighted by Christopher Columbus.
● Jamaica was the first country in the Caribbean region to launch a website – jamaicatravel.com. That was in 1994!
● Jamaica is the home to the oldest Jewish cemeteries in the Western hemisphere.
● Jamaica is the official birth place of the Rastafarian Movement, Reggae, and Dancehall Music.
● Jerk sauce . . . the world-famous recipe, is from Jamaica.
Featured Video: Jamaica’s National Anthem (Instrumental)
Lyrics: Eternal Father bless our land, guard us with thy mighty hand; keep us free from evil powers, be our light through countless hours. To our leaders, Great Defender, grant true wisdom from above. Justice, truth be ours forever; Jamaica, land we love. Jamaica, Jamaica, Jamaica, land we love.
A Few Feet Quotes
Photo: Relaxing on white sand beach in Negril
Photo: Snorkeling in Negril waters, Westmoreland
Photo: Bamboo rafting on the Great River, St. Ann
Photo: Walking to the beach in Ocho Rios, St. Ann